The interwar years proved to be challenging times along the River Tees with unstable economic conditions bringing closures and conflict in the area’s industries. Despite this, extensive investment was underway at Dents Wharf.
Despite the unstable economic climate, numerous improvements were carried out at Dent’s Wharf during the interwar decades. In 1926 a new berth was added to the river frontage, the quay was re-piled and strengthened, three new cranes were installed and a modern transit shed built on the river side for direct shipment from vessel to shed. The site now included 1,000 feet of river frontage, seven large warehouses and rail sidings.
One of the major developments on the Tees during the era was the construction of the Tees Newport Bridge upstream from the Tees Transporter Bridge. Builit by Dorman Long using mainly local labourers, the construction of the largest vertical lift bridge of its type in the world provided much-needed employment opportunities and became a vital new link for the developing chemical industries on the north bank of the Tees. The landmark was officially opened on 28 February 1934 by the Duke and Duchess of York with thousands of people lining the streets of Middlesbrough to catch a glimpse of the Royal couple.