Ideally positioned on the River Tees in the North East of England, Port of Middlesbrough provides full freight logistics across a number of sectors. The 40 hectare site boasts deep-water berths, four market specific rail terminals including a container terminal and climate-controlled metals hub, all supported by its road transport fleet. Whether you’re looking for import, export, local hub distribution or on-port accommodation, The Port of Middlesbrough can provide the connectivity and added efficiencies you’re after in your logistics operations.Menu
Port of Middlesbrough provides specialist freight logistics across a number of sectors including, energy and renewables, construction, agriculture, automotive and waste. As the only port in the region with high and heavy lift access, the 40 Hectare facility also boasts deep-water berths, four market specific rail terminals, all supported by its road transport fleet. The Port of Middlesbrough is your ideal partner for the long term.Menu
We seek to form positive relationships which are committed to securing the future prosperity of the business and improving the working life for employees.Menu
- About Us
Community & CharitiesMenu
News & EventsMenu
- Contact Us
Driving Careers - MEET JOHN
John North, our driver trainer and compliance advisor had a long career as an HGV driver before joining our training and compliance team. Read more about John and how he became an HGV driver in our Q&A below.
- What was your favourite subject when you were at school?
I loved metal work.
- Did you go to college or university? If so, what did you study?
I studied Heavy Vehicles /Light Vehicles at Longlands College for my first year, Hartlepool College for year two and three and then Longlands College for year four. This gave me a full apprenticeship as a Heavy Goods /Light Vehicles fitter.
- What was your first full time job and how old were you?
My first job was as an apprentice diesel fitter when I was 16 years old.
- What were the main jobs you had before coming to AV Dawson?
I started work for P&O Ferrymasters in 1981 as an apprentice Heavy goods fitter/technician /stand in chargehand, before going on to become an HGV Driver in 1992. I worked for P&O Ferrymasters for nearly 30 years before being made redundant in December 2010.
- Where were you born and how long have you lived in Teesside?
I was born in Parkside Hospital in Middlesbrough and have lived in the Teesside area all my life.
- When did you join AV Dawson?
I joined AV Dawson in January 2011.
- What was your first job at AV Dawson?
I started at AV Dawson as an HGV Driver, based in Skinningrove.
- Why did you first come to AV Dawson?
The Transport Manager at AV Dawson had told me what a great family business it was to work for.
- What did you enjoy about being an HGV driver?
I loved the variety of work, meeting different customers and travelling around the UK.
- What did you enjoy about being an HGV driver at AV Dawson?
The main benefit of being an HGV driver for AV Dawson was that it enabled me to plan my week so I could spend more time at home with the family.
- What is your current job title at AV Dawson?
My current role is driver trainer and compliance advisor.
- What made you decide to stop being a driver and move to your current role at AV Dawson?
An opportunity arose for a driver trainer and compliance advisor, and I was keen to move into this area to progress my career.
- Why do you like working at AV Dawson?
I just feel that it’s a family run business that really cares and I’ve got a good manager.
- What are your longer term career plans?
I’d like to progress my career further and become a compliance manager.
- Can you tell us about your family life?
I’m married with two children.
- What do you like to do outside of work?
Motorbikes are my passion. I passed my bike test in 1982. Repairing and servicing bikes, cars – anything that’s got an engine in it!
- What advice would you give someone who’s interested to begin a career as an HGV driver?
I would advise them to come and work for AV Dawson as an HGV Driver as we give the best training in the area, you will be given great opportunities to develop your skills and see the country.