Driving Careers - Meet Lee
Lee Nesfield has been painting, driving and saving lives before arriving at AV Dawson Transport, where he was recruited as an HGV driver and then progressed to an office-based role as a transport planner. Read more about Lee’s story in our Q&A below.
- What was your favourite subject when you were at school?
I liked PE.
- Did you go to college or university? If so, what did you study?
Yes, I went to Middlesbrough College and studied Preparation for Entry to the Uniformed Services.
- What was your first full time job and how old were you?
My first job was as a lifeguard at Whitby Leisure Centre, aged 18.
- What were the main jobs you had before coming to AV Dawson Transport?
My main jobs were as an industrial painter and an HGV Driver.
- Where were you born and how long have you lived in Teesside?
I was born in Middlesbrough but grew up in Castleton in the North Yorkshire Moors. I’ve lived in the area all my life.
- When did you join AV Dawson Transport?
- What was your first job at AV Dawson Transport?
- Why did you first come to AV Dawson Transport?
I had seen the trucks on the roads and heard good reports about being an HGV driver at the company.
- What did you enjoy about being an HGV driver?
I liked getting to see different parts of the UK and also earning a decent wage.
- What did you enjoy about being an HGV driver at AV Dawson Transport?
I enjoyed doing all different kinds of haulage work including tippers, flat beds and coil. I also liked being based in Skinningrove doing local work.
- What is your current job title at AV Dawson Transport?
I’m a transport planner, so I’m now office based and responsible for liaising with customers and scheduling the work for all our HGV drivers.
- What made you decide to stop being a driver and move to your current role at AV Dawson Transport?
I wanted to progress in my career and was keen to have more time at home with my family.
- Why do you like working at AV Dawson Transport?
I feel like I am part of the company, not just a number. Also, as the company does far more than just haulage, there is more opportunity to build my knowledge further. I enjoy learning about different aspects such as shipping and other projects the company is involved with.
- What are your longer term career plans?
My next step is to try to become a transport manager and then hopefully get as high as I possibly can within the company.
- Can you tell us about your family life?
I have two children, a girl Connie who is 6 and a boy Rory who is 4. I am due to get married in July 2022 to my partner Leah (this was meant to be in July 2020 but Covid put it on hold).
- What do you like to do outside of work?
I like to play as much golf as possible, as well as spending time with my partner and children.
- What advice would you give someone who’s interested to begin a career as an HGV driver?
Expect to work long hours, however you will get paid for the hours you work. It can be a really rewarding career if you’re willing to put the effort in.